Here at First Markham Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation, we are now offering Sunday prenatal classes open to all expectant mothers-to-be!
About the Instructor: Christine Chan
Christine Chan is a registered nurse (Ontario, Boston Massachusettes, UK, HK) and registered midwife (HK) and has earned a Cardio-Thoracic Open Heart Intensive Care diploma (HK Grantham Hospital). She has experience working at Scarborough General Hospitals OBS Unit and has over 10 years of experience practising in paediatric care for CCAC Child and Family Division and with children from Sick Kids Hospital. She also supports new mothers with her in-home postnatal services in breast feeding and infant care. As the instructor of our prenatal classes, she is determined to provide the most nurturing environment where both you and your partner will attain the skills and confidence needed to make the miracle of birth a positive experience.
Missions and Goals of our Prenatal Classes:
- To provide knowledge to expectant parents in order to promote fostering a healthy baby.
- To promote safe and smooth delivery during labour.
- To support and advice to expectant parents on how to avoid unnecessary trips to the hospital and anxiety during due date period and after childbirth.
Prenatal Class Curriculum:
- Nutritional in-take focused on Chinese cultural ways of eating habits.
- Measures and management in coping with discomforts and complications during pregnancy.
- Pain relief interventions during labour
- Breathing and Relaxation Techniques
- Pain Medications
- Epidural Anaesthesia
- Massage Therapy
- Pushing Techniques
- Indications for Forceps/Vacuum Delivery and Caesarean Section
- Postnatal Care and Exercises
- Newborn Care
- Breast-feeding and Nutrition
- Comfort and Sleeping Pattern
- Newborn Jaundice and Minor Dis-comfort
- Bathing, Diaper Change and Dressing Demonstrations
Classes are held at First Markham Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation in small groups within a friendly environment in Cantonese and English.
To book or to get more information, contact Christine Chan: